Membership Criteria and Applications
NC VOAD Membership
Before beginning the process for joining NC VOAD, all groups are required to review Article IV: Membership of the NC VOAD Bylaws. This section details membership eligibility, categories, requirements and opportunities, conditions of membership, application for membership, membership costs, and membership adjustment. Key aspects of Article IV: Membership are highlighted below.
Membership Eligibility: An organization that in North Carolina (1) is currently active in disaster relief, and/or (2) has a history of demonstrated disaster experience, and/or (3) has an interest in preparation and planning for disaster response is eligible for membership in NCVOAD, so long as the organization has policies and/or plans for committing resources to meet the needs of people affected by disaster, without discrimination as to race, creed, gender, or age.
NCVOAD Membership Categories
- Voting Members: Voting members are tax-exempt organizations who have a continuing permanent presence in the State of North Carolina and who contribute to disaster relief efforts in North Carolina, especially through volunteer contributions (local or regional VOADs included). For the purposes of these By-Laws, tax-exempt organizations are those who have been granted tax-exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service or those who are not required to apply for tax-exempt status (e.g. churches).
- Associate Members:
- Tax-exempt organizations, as defined and recognized by the Internal Revenue Service (or who are not required to apply for tax-exempt status), who do not have a continuing permanent presence in the State over the last three years but have been operational in the State during Disaster Emergencies and/or Long Term Recovery and/or have an interest in disaster preparation, response or recovery in North Carolina or,
- Elements of local, state, or federal government who support or facilitate the work of agencies active in disasters or whose mission is disaster relief.
- Partners: Partners are those private companies or corporations who have demonstrated a commitment to encouraging and strengthening the capacity of NCVOAD Members in their initial response and support for long term recovery.
- Research Affiliates: Research Affiliates are representatives of governmental entities, universities or other entities conducting research that provide support and advice to the work of NCVOAD. Research Affiliates are encouraged to be a part of the work of NCVOAD but may not chair NCVOAD Committees.
NC VOAD Membership Fee Schedule
- Voting Member: $100
- Associate Member: $100 *Does not apply to government members
- Partner: $500
- Research Affiliate: Contact Board for more information
How To Apply For NCVOAD Membership
Groups interested in joining NC VOAD should complete the following steps:
- Review Article IV: Membership within the NC VOAD Bylaws.
- Download and Complete the NC VOAD Membership Application.
- Submit the NC VOAD Membership Application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org along with all required attachments as detailed in the application document. Any application missing required documentation will be deemed incomplete and not reviewed until all information is gathered.
- The NC VOAD Board will review membership applications on a quarterly basis and alert organizations on the status of their application once it has been reviewed.
- Once accepted, organizations will be asked to submit their dues payment.